Are you planning on presenting at the upcoming Virtual MWFWC taking place February 1-4, 2021? If so, you can now apply to win one of three $75 awards OCAFS is sponsoring this year to cover the cost of registration.
To be considered for these awards, you must:
- Be a student member of OCAFS. If you're not a student member yet, you can join for free by filling out the student membership online form.
- Have an accepted abstract to the 2021 Midwest Fish and Wildlife Conference.
- Submit your accepted abstract to OCAFS Leadership Committee Chair Nick Radabaugh at [email protected] by January 15, 2021!
Abstracts will be judged by the OCAFS governing board and winners will be notified by January 22, 2021.
OSU Stone Laboratory Fish-Sampling Techniques Workshop
OCAFS annually awards two full scholarships to attend this workshop. Interested students need to submit a 1-page statement summarizing interest in the workshop, academic and professional accomplishments to date, any financial needs, and/or how you believe the workshop may enhance your path towards a professional career in fisheries or natural resource management. More detailed information about the workshop can be found here.
Milt Austin Award
2020 was the 23rd year that OCAFS has offered the Milt Austin Aquatic Science Award at the Ohio State Science Fair, which is held annually at The Ohio State University. For more information, visit the 2020 State Science Day website here. Award recipients for 2020 are as follows:
- 1st place ($150): Caroline Wittman (11th grade) - The Effect of Water Conductivity on Prey-Catching Behavior in Apteronotus albifrons
- 2nd place ($100): Bela Karajagi (10th grade) - AQUASmart: An AI-Powered Farm Advisor Tool
- 3rd place ($50): Elyse Reed (11th grade) - Contrasting Industrial Waste and Agricultural Runoff as Contributors to Algae Blooms in Lake Erie
- Honorable Mention ($25): Enna Eastman (8th grade) - Organic vs. Mineral: What is the Best Nutrient Additive for Hydroponic Plant Growth?
- Honorable Mention ($25): Joonwoo Park (8th grade) - Utilizing Food Waste to Promote Algae Biofuel Production